Coffee Cake with Pistachio Praline
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Plain flour||6 Ounce, sifted (175 Gram)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Ounce, melted (50 Gram)|
|Espresso coffee||2 Tablespoon, cooled (Made)|
|Shelled pistachio nuts||2 1⁄4 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Water||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
|Maple syrup||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Unsalted butter||12 Ounce, diced (At Room Temperature, 350 Gram)|
|Maple syrup||3 Tablespoon|
1. Put the eggs and sugar in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Whisk the eggs for 5 minutes until thickened. Remove the bowl from the heat and fold in the flour, melted butter and coffee.
2. Oil and base-line a 23 cm (9 inch) cake tin. Transfer the mixture to the tin and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 25-30 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack. Cut the cake into three layers.
3. Make the praline. Put the nuts on a baking sheet. Heat the sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan until the sugar melts. Increase heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar turns light golden. Remove from the heat and pour over the nuts. Once set, break the praline into small pieces and then grind to a rough powder.
4. Make the icing. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and light. Heat the milk until just boiling, then whisk into the egg mixture. Return to the pan and heat gently, stirring until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Beat the mixture off the heat for 2-3 minutes and then gradually beat in the butter, a little at a time, until the mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in the maple syrup.
5. Fold half the praline into half the icing and use to sandwich the sponges together. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake and sprinkle the reserved praline over the top.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6018 Calories from Fat 3607
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 410 g631.5%
Saturated Fat 228.2 g1140.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3244.8 mg1081.6%
Sodium 564.8 mg23.5%
Total Carbohydrates 521 g173.5%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.6%
Sugars 359.8 g
Protein 83 g166.1%
Vitamin A 263.1% Vitamin C 5.3%
Calcium 66.2% Iron 69.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet