Raisin Nut Cookies
|Undiluted evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), packed|
|Eggs||2 , unbeaten|
|Dark raisins/Light raisins||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Browned butter icing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
2. Into evaporated milk, stir vinegar; set aside.
3. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
4. Mix shortening, brown sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Blend in evaporated-milk mixture, then flour mixture. Stir in raisins and nuts.
5. Drop, by level tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto greased cookie sheets.
6. Bake about 15 minutes, or until done.
7. Cool; then frost with Browned-Butter Icing. Makes about 6 dozen.
Browned-butter icing: In heavy skillet, lighdy brown 3/4 cup butter or margarine (watch carefully to prevent burning). Blend in 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons undiluted evaporated milk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.