Japchae - Korean Stir-fried Noodles
|Beef||1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced (use chuck or sirloin)|
|For the marinade|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), mince|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 , julienned|
|Shitake mushrooms||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon (for stir frying the mushrooms)|
|Red chili pepper||1 , thinly sliced|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (for stir frying the mushrooms)|
|Spinach||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Korean vermicelli noodles||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped finely|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|For the sauce|
|Soy sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|White sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Black sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
1. Thinly slice the beef.
2. For the marinade: In a bowl, add soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, mirin and garlic. Stir together.
3. Marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
4. In a smaller bowl, crack the eggs. Add a pinch of salt and whisk it.
5. In a pan, heat oil and drop the whisked egg.
6. Spread it around and make into a thin omelet. Thinly slice it and set aside.
7. Chop the vegetables as instructed.
8. Boil about 6 cups of water and sat it.
9. In a pan, heat oil and drop the sliced onions.
10. Salt and stir fry them and set aside.
11. Next would be the peppers and carrots. Stir fry them separately. Set aside.
12. Stir fry the mushrooms next with a little soy sauce and sugar until they look caramelized.
13. Lastly, stir fry the marinated beef until all the moisture is evaporated.
14. Drop the spinach in the boiling water. Allow it to stand for 10 seconds. Remove immediately into an ice bath.
15. Squeeze the water out from the spinach between the palm of your hands. Set aside in a bowl.
16. Add the minced garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds and black pepper. Mix it well.
17. In the same water used to blanch the spinach. Drop the noodles and cook as per the directions in the package. Drain them and set aside.
18. In a bowl, add the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds and black pepper. Stir it.
19. In a large serving bowl, drop the noodles.
20. Add the sauce and mix it in the noodles.
21. Add the stir fried veggies, spinach and beef and mix it in.
22. Plate it and top with thinly sliced omelet.
23. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve right away.
Calories 1433 Calories from Fat 358
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.6%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 140.9 mg47%
Sodium 1700.6 mg70.9%
Total Carbohydrates 211 g70.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.8%
Sugars 34.1 g
Protein 51 g101.8%
Vitamin A 113.4% Vitamin C 27.3%
Calcium 19% Iron 52.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet