Korean Food: Cold SoyBean Noodles (콩국수)
|Dried soy bean||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thin noodles||8 Ounce|
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs) (3 cups for soaking the soybeans + 6 cups of boiling water for cooking the soaked soybeans)|
|Water||12 Cup (192 tbs) (for boiling the noodles)|
|For blending the soybeans|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|For the soybean paste|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Black sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl, soak the dried soybeans in water for about 12 hours. After 12 hours, the soybeans will be tripled in size amounting to 3 cups of soaked soybeans.
2. In a pan of boiling water, add the soaked soybeans and once the water starts to boil cook it for about 5 to 8 minutes on high, or until the soybeans have finished cooking.
3. Rinse the cooked soybeans in running cold water and rub the cooked soybeans with both hands to remove the skin. Add extra water in the bowl and as the peeled skin floats, remove and discard. Repeat this process until all the skins have been removed and the water completely.
4. In a blender, add the soybeans, water, and salt into a blender. Blend on high speed for about a minute or two, or until you get about 4 cups of well blended soybean milk.
5. Pour the soybean sauce in a container and chill in the fridge before serving.
6. Take about 8 oz of thin noodles, following the cooking instructions on the pack, cook it or you add the thin noodles in 12 cups of boiling water with 1 tsp of salt and cook them for about 4-5 minutes. Rinse the cooked noodles in cold water several times and drain.
7. On a chopping board, julienne the cucumber and slice the tomatoes into wedges.
8. In a large mixing bowl, pour the soybean sauce, add water, sugar, and salt. Mix until the sugar and salt dissolves.
9. In a serving bowl, add the cooked noodles, pour some of the soybean sauce on top of the noodles. Garnish with cucumber, tomato wedges, and black sesame seeds.
You will get about 4 cups of soybean sauce, which will be enough for about 6 servings. If you don’t use it all, you can keep the rest in the fridge for later. It will keep for several days, but not more than a week. If you want extra cold noodles, add some ice.