Homemade Udon Noodles
|Danshaku japanese potatos||3|
|Spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Daikon raddish||1⁄2 Large|
|Maitake mushroom||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sardines||1 Cup (16 tbs) (dried)|
|Miso paste||6 Tablespoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Flour||265 Gram (all purpose)|
1. In a bowl, we have 265g = 9.35 oz. of flour.
2. Gradually add some water, and mix using rice spatula. We've added approx. 150ml of water.
3. After making sure you have clean hands, we can start kneading the dough.
4. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth.
5. Wrap a dough in a wet cloth and leave it for at least 10 min or up to a few hours.
6. Let's now make some Niboshi Dashi, which is a Japanese fish stock made of dried sardines.
7. Remove the guts from the dried sardines (40g=1.4oz.)
Transfer all of the dried sardines into a small pot.
8.Pour approx. 2 cups = 500ml of water and soak them for at least one hour.
9. In the meantime, let's take care of vegetables. Cut of the end parts of 1/4 Kabocha (squash) first. Scoop off pumpkin guts using a spoon.
Cut into medium size pieces
10. Peel off the skin of 200g = 7.05oz. of Carrot. Remove the end. Cut into half.
11. Slice the carrot into half moon shapes.
12. Let's now peel off the skin of 270 g = 9.52 oz. of Daikon Radish. Cut into quarter. Slice the daikon rash into quarter rounds.
13. Remove the skin of 3 Danshaku Japanese potatoes. Cut into the same size as the Kabocha squash.
14. Peel off the skin of an onion and cut the ends. Cut into medium size pieces.
15. We will now be taking care of the Deep fried tofu.
We will need to pour hot water over deep fried tofu in order to remove the oil off the surface of the deep fried tofu. Do it on both sides.
Press down the deep fried tofu gently to get rid of excess hot water off the deep fried tofu.Cut into third, then cut into 1cm = 1/2 Inch thickness.
16. Remove the stem of the Maitake Mushroom. Cut into smaller pieces by hand.
17. This is it for the vegetables, so let's now work on the Houtou udon noodles. Knead the dough for about 1 min. Wrap in a wet cloth and microwave it for 30 sec. The dough gets sticky by doing this. I kneaded the dough for extra 1 more min until the texture becomes like our ear lobe.
18. Now, flatten the dough a little bit.
19. Sprinkle a little bit of flour on a clean surface or cutting board.
Place the dough on a surface and further flatten it with a rolling pin until the dough is about 1/8 inch thickness.
20. Once reached the deal thickness, so cut into half.
21. Slice the dough into 1 cm = 1/2 Inch thickness.
22. Let's now make some Niboshi Dashi.
Bring the pot of the dried sardines and water over a stove;
Bring it to a boil and simmer at low heat for about 5 min skimming off any forms raise to the surface. Place a colander over in a bigger pot and strain the stock thru it.
23. Now add 6 cups = 1500mL of water in a bigger pot; Bring it to a boil.
24. Once boiled, we can start cooking some vegetables!
Put all cut vegetables: Onions, Potatoes, Daikon radish, and some carrot.
Put the rid on, and cook at med heat for 10 min.
25. We can then add some maitake mushroom and deep fried tofu.
Also, we can add all noodles. We will cook it all at high heat for at least 5 minutes.
26. Once all of the vegetables are throughly cooked, we can add some kabocha squash. Put the rid on and cook for about 2 minutes.
27. Skim off any forms raise to the surface.
28. We can now gradually add some miso into the pot.
We added about 6 Tablespoonful of Miso paste.
Depending on the brand, the saltiness of the Miso varies, so please do this up to your preference.
29. Just before we were ready to serve, we added Mizuna (potherb mustard) in a pot. You can maybe add some spinach instead.
30. Just like this, the Houtou udon noodles are ready! Put 1 TSP of butter and red hot pepper spices and serve while warm! Enjoy!!
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2071 Calories from Fat 223
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.3%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 147.7 mg49.2%
Sodium 3855.7 mg160.7%
Total Carbohydrates 382 g127.3%
Dietary Fiber 35.9 g143.7%
Sugars 28.3 g
Protein 93 g186.5%
Vitamin A 207.4% Vitamin C 264%
Calcium 59.9% Iron 126.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet