Thai noodle soup with vegetables and shrimps
|Vegetable bouillon||1 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Fresh ginger root||1 Inch|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Pak choi||6 Ounce (150 - 200 Gram)|
|Shiitake mushrooms||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Carrot||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Onion/Half a bush of scallions||1⁄2|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Spanish pepper||To Taste|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1 Handful Of)|
|For other ingredients:|
|Uncooked noodles||6 Ounce (150 Grams)|
|Shrimps/Fried tofu cubes||6 Ounce, cooked and peeled (150 Grams)|
|Chili sauce||1 Tablespoon (As Required)|
PREPARATION (20 minutes)
1. Heat the bouillon to boiling temperature. Add the ginger and lemon leaves and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the lemon leaves and ginger and add the soy sauce and fish sauce.
2. Cook the noodles according to the instructions printed on the packing of the product but shorten the cooking time with 30 seconds.
3. Wash and cut the vegetables
- slice the onion (to half rings)
- slice the garlic
- cut the carrot julienne
- cut the shiitake into slices
- cut the pepper into strips
- cut the pak choi into pieces of 1-2 centimeters
- chop the coriander leaves
4. Cut the lime into two halves. Cut one of the two halves into two pieces and leave the other half intact.
COOKING (10 minutes)
1. Fry the onion (1,5 minutes).
2. Add pepper and garlic and fry these (1 minute).
3. Add mushrooms and fry these (1,5 minute).
4. Add carrot and fry these (1 minute).
5. Add bouillon and shrimps and bring to boiling point.
6. Add pak choi pieces and cook these for a short time (1 minute maximum)
7. Squeeze half a lime in the soup.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Add the noodles and heat these in the soup.
10. Add the coriander and serve the soup.
Serve the soup with the two lime pieces and the chili sauce.
Serious vegetarians can replace the shrimps with fried tofu cubes and the fish sauce with light soy sauce. Add these together with the mushrooms.
The shiitake mushrooms can be replaced with other musrooms like chantarelles.
The pak choi and carrot can be wholly or partially replced with other crunchy vegetables like chinese cabbage, pepper or fennel. French beans or sugar peas are also tasteful in this dish. When you this you have to adapt the cooking times.
Use a tasteful noodle for this dish. I prefer japanese soba noodles.
Don't overcook the vegetables. The paksoi has to stay crunchy.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1050 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 401.4 mg133.8%
Sodium 4148.8 mg172.9%
Total Carbohydrates 170 g56.6%
Dietary Fiber 17.5 g69.9%
Sugars 17.3 g
Protein 68 g135.3%
Vitamin A 498.8% Vitamin C 174.2%
Calcium 40.9% Iron 56.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet