Boeuf Bourguignon in A Noodle Ring
|Fatty pork strips||1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Boneless chuck/Round beef||4 Pound, cut into 2 to 2 1/2-inch cubes|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Savory||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Onion||1 , peeled and minced|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound, wiped clean, caps and stems separated and cut on a slant|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and minced|
|Parsley sprigs||4 , chopped|
1) Place a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the pork to tender the fat.
2) Take the meat off the heat and reserve the pork bits.
3) Increase the heat to high and brown the beef pieces thoroughly, a few at a time.
4) As the meat bits finish cooking, lift them into a slow cooker.
5) Take the skillet off the heat and add the flour into the dripping, stir well, working rapidly.
6) Add the wine and bouillon, stirring all the while. The sauce should be of a consistency as thick as cream. In case it isn-€™t, continue to simmer and cook for longer.
7) Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper, savory and pork bits. Ensure that you have scraped up all the pan juices. Turn the sauce into the cooker.
8) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
9) Before it is time to serve, place a medium skillet over moderate-high heat and melt the butter. Saute the onion till it is translucent.
10) Use a slotted spoon to lift out the onion bits and transfer them to the slow cooker.
11) In the skillet, saute the mushrooms for 2 minutes, stirring.
12) Add the parsley and garlic. Stir and cook the mixture for 1 minute.
13) To the slow cooker, skim any visible fat from the cooking liquids. Spoon some liquid into the skillet, scrape up the pan juices and then scrape the mushroom and juices back into the slow cooker.
14) Cover the cooker and cook for another 1 to 2 hours.
15) Transfer the hot preparation to a serving plate and serve while still hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4884 Calories from Fat 1606
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 179 g275.7%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 132.5 mg44.2%
Sodium 947.7 mg39.5%
Total Carbohydrates 161 g53.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.4 g41.6%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 544 g1088.2%
Vitamin A 29.2% Vitamin C 60.6%
Calcium 20.1% Iron 44.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet