Spice Crusted Tuna With Asparagus And Seaweed Wrapped Noodles
|Black peppercorns||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fennel seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coriander seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Allspice berries||3⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||3⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Thin asparagus spears||18 , trimmed (Of Approximately The Same Diameter)|
|Soba noodles||4 Ounce|
|Tahini paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rice wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Plain yogurt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh tuna steaks||24 Ounce (6 Pieces, 4 Ounce Each)|
|Curry oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Assemble the mise en place trays.
2. Combine the peppercorns, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and allspice berries in a spice or coffee grinder or a mini food processor and process until very fine. Transfer to a shallow bowl and stir in the curry powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Place the asparagus spears on a steamer rack. Steam for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Pat dry and set aside.
4. Cook the soba noodles in boiling, salted water according to the package directions. Drain well (do not rinse).
5. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the noodles, tahini, 1/4 cup of the soy sauce, vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cilantro, and cayenne to taste.
6. Generously brush the nori sheets with the remaining soy sauce. Place equal portions of the noodle mixture about 1 inch from the bottom edge of each nori sheet. Fold the bottom edge of each sheet over the filling and roll up to make a firm log. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mustard, and the remaining 3 tablespoons cilantro. Set aside.
8. Dredge the tuna steaks with the spice mixture, pressing it gently into the flesh.
9. In a large saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the Curry Oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the tuna steaks. Sear for 30 seconds per side. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
10. Using a small sharp knife, pierce 3 holes into the side of each steak. Gently push an asparagus spear into each hole, pushing the asparagus as far into the steak as possible. Trim off any excess asparagus so that none extends from the side of the steak.
11. Thinly slice each tuna steak and arrange on 6 serving plates. You will be able to see the asparagus in each slice. Slice each nori noodle roll crosswise on the diagonal. Arrange the nori rolls beside the tuna. Drizzle the plate with the yogurt mixture and the remaining 1 tablespoon Curry Oil.