Beef Noodle Soup
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1⁄4 Ounce (10 Gram)|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Carrots||4 Ounce (115 Gram)|
|Rump steak||1⁄2 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Sunflower oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Beef stock||1 Liter (2 Pint)|
|Light soy sauce||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Chinese rice wine/Dry sherry||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Egg noodles||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Spinach||3 Ounce, shredded (75 Gram)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Break the mushrooms into small pieces, place in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
2. Shred the spring onions and carrots into 5cm/2 in-long fine strips. Trim any fat off the rump steak and slice into thin strips.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the beef in batches until browned, adding a little more oil if necessary. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, spring onions and carrots to the pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
5. Add the beef stock, the mushrooms and their soaking liquid, the soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
6. Break up the noodles slightly and add to the pan, with the spinach. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, or until the beef is tender. Adjust the seasoning before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 961 Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.4%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 71.4 mg23.8%
Sodium 6023.2 mg251%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g33.9%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.3%
Sugars 14.9 g
Protein 45 g89.9%
Vitamin A 557.4% Vitamin C 82.1%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 48.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet