Wheat Noodle Soup With Marinated Chicken
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||10 Ounce (300 g)|
|Lemon grass stalks||2|
|Peanuts||3 Tablespoon, skinned and roasted|
|Long grain white rice||3 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Fresh root ginger||2 Inch, peeled and finely chopped|
|Red bird's eye chilies||2 , chopped|
|Thai fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 ml)|
|Wheat noodles||8 Ounce (250 g)|
|Hard-boiled eggs||3 , halved|
|Chopped coriander leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Spring onions||3 , finely chopped|
|Dried chile||To Taste, crushed|
|Balachaung||2 Tablespoon (optional)|
1. Cut the chicken breasts into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes. Mix the turmeric with the salt and rub it into the cubes of chicken. Cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
2. Bruise the lemon grass with the side of a rolling pin to release the flavour. Finely crush the roasted peanuts in a food processor or using a pestle and mortar. Heat a dry frying pan and toast the rice until golden brown, then finely crush it to a powder in a food processor or spice grinder.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook until just softened. Add the dry marinated chicken together with the lemon grass, garlic, ginger, paprika and chillies. Add the fish sauce and measured water and bring to the boil.
4. Lower the heat and simmer gently. Mix the crushed peanuts and ground rice and add to the pan. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through and the broth thickened slightly.
5. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and refresh with cold water, then divide between large soup bowls.
6. Ladle the chicken soup over the noodles and serve topped with hard-boiled eggs, chopped coriander and spring onions. Add an extra splash of fish sauce and a sprinkling of crushed dried chilli and balachaung, if using, to taste. Eat the soup with a spoon and fork.
Calories 468 Calories from Fat 155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.5%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229.9 mg76.6%
Sodium 1904.8 mg79.4%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.8%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 29 g58%
Vitamin A 17.9% Vitamin C 12.6%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 16.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet