Crumbed Parsnip Sticks With Mustard Yogurt
|Eggs||2 , lightly beaten|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Wholemeal plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Stale wholemeal breadcrumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep-frying)|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Seeded mustard||2 Tablespoon|
1. Cut the parsnips into finger size sticks. Let then be as thick as your tall finger and try to cut them in a uniform size.
2. Beat the eggs and milk in a shallow dish.
3. Place flour in a plastic bag or in a deep bowl.
4. Spread the crumbs on a plate or on wax paper.
5. Dip the sticks into the egg mixture then toss them in the flour
6. Once all of them have been tossed in flour, dip one at a time in egg mixture again and drain off the excess.
7. Roll in breadcrumbs, pressing slightly so that the crumbs stick firmly, to form an even coating
8. You can refrigerate the crumbed parsnip sticks at this stage.
9. Heat oil in a deep-fat fryer or pan.
10. Drop the crumbed sticks, in batches into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crisp on the out side and tender inside.
11. Drain them on absorbent paper.
12. Fry the remaining sticks.
13. To make the yogurt, in a small bowl, blend the ingredients and whisk well. Refrigerate to chill well before serving.
14. Serve the Crumbed Parsnip Sticks hot and crisp with cooled Mustard Yogurt.
The parsnip sticks and dressing can be prepared and kept covered in the refrigerator and the sticks can be deep-fried just before serving.