These mussels in a rich beer and tomato infused sauce make a great party starter!
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1 Medium, slice
4 Clove (20 gm), mince
Dark large beer
1 Bottle (1 l)
1 Can (10 oz), undrained (Hunt's sweet onion chunky tomatoes)
Cracked black pepper
2 1⁄2 Kilogram, washed and debearded
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and canola oil in it.
2. Throw yellow onion, garlic, fennel seeds and bay leaves in. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Pour in beer and empty in sweet onion chunky tomatoes. Stir.
4. Add ground black pepper and salt to it. Stir well and cook uncovered for about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add mussels to the pan, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 6-10 minutes, or until mussels' shell open.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove mussels from pan and keep them on a plate, leaving the liquid in pan. Discard mussels that have not opened.
7. Now, remove the cover, increase the heat and cook until the liquid is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
8. Pour the sauce over mussels.
9. Serve mussels in tomato sauce immediately with crusty bread.