Tomato Mussel Pasta
|Medium mussels||2 Pound (2 Dozens)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Green onions||4 Large, chopped|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced to make 3/4 cup|
|Fresh plum tomatoes||2 Pound, seeded and chopped to make 4 cups|
|Chopped fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Calamata olives/Other ripe olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted and quartered|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, minced|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Mafalde/Mini-lasagne pasta||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
To prepare the mussels :
1. Check mussels, discarding any that are not tightly closed and scrub well under cold running water to remove sand and seaweed.
2. With a sharp knife, trim off the beards around edges.
3. Soak for 1 to 2 hours in cold water.
4. Lift mussels from water and place in colander.
5. Rinse with cold water and drain.
6. In large skillet, heat oil and saute onions over medium heat, saute onions and mushrooms until onions are soft.
7. Add mussels, tomatoes, basil, olives, garlic and red and black peppers and cook with cover for 5 minutes until mussels open.
8. Cook pasta as package label directs, drain and place in large serving bowl.
9. Toss pasta with mussels in tomato sauce and cheese.
10. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Calories 1144 Calories from Fat 521
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.7%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g41.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72.6 mg24.2%
Sodium 1026.7 mg42.8%
Total Carbohydrates 110 g36.6%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.8%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 46 g92.9%
Vitamin A 63% Vitamin C 96.1%
Calcium 24.4% Iron 75.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet