Stuffed mushrooms are mushrooms that have been cooked and stuffed with various kinds of meat and vegetable stuffing. It is a popular delicacy that is prepared using different methods in various parts of the world.
Commonly Used Ingredients and Preparation Overview of Stuffed Mushrooms
A popular stuffed mushroom recipe suggests the use of fresh mushrooms, vegetable oil, cream cheese, minced garlic, black pepper, parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, and onion powder as the ingredients.
A mixture of finely chopped mushroom stems and garlic in sautéed in some oil before stirring in parmesan cheese, cream cheese, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. The mushroom caps are then stuffed with this mushroom stuffing and baked in oven until liquid starts forming under the mushroom caps.
Stuffed Mushroom Recipe Variations
There are numerous recipe variations of stuffed mushroom, with a few of them discussed as under:
- Bacon based variant- The use of cooked bacon as stuffing for mushrooms helps in imparting a smoky flavor to the dish. Cooked and diced bacon is combined with a sautéed mix of mushroom stems and garlic to prepare the stuffing for mushrooms. Other ingredients used in the stuffing consist of parsley, egg, and moistened bread. The stuffing is seasoned with pepper and salt. The mushrooms are baked in oven after sprinkling a mix of melted butter and bread crumbs on top of them.
- Smoked sausage stuffed mushrooms- The recipe for this dish suggests stuffing cooked mushrooms with a mix of cooked ground smoked sausage, parmesan cheese, and cream cheese.
- Swiss stuffed mushrooms- A mix of Swiss cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, melted butter, and egg is used as the mushroom stuffing. Already cooked mushrooms (with stems discarded) are filled with this stuffing and baked.
- Bell pepper and onion based stuffed mushroom- mushroom stems are sautéed along with onions, garlic, and green bell pepper in butter before stirring in cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. The pre-sautéed mushroom caps are then stuffed with this stuffing mix, sprinkled with some parmesan cheese, and baked for a few minutes, before serving them hot.
- Apple and sausage stuffed mushrooms- browned sausage is combined with a mix of gorgonzola cheese, goat cheese, bread crumbs, and seasonings, before stirring in a cooked mix of apples, mushrooms stems, and onions. Mushrooms caps are cooked for a few minutes before stuffing them with the prepared mix, and baking.
- Perfect plain stuffed mushrooms- This stuffed mushroom recipe does not suggest the use of any vegetable or meat as the stuffing ingredients. Mushrooms (with stems removed) are stuffed with a mix of bread crumbs, Romano cheese, tomato sauce, olive oil, and seasonings, and baked until stuffing appears to be crispy and golden.
- Crab stuffed mushroom- The recipe for crab based stuffed mushrooms suggests sautéing green onion and finely chopped mushroom stems in some oil, before stirring in crab meat, lemon juice, bread crumbs, dill weed, egg, and Monterey Jack cheese. Butter sautéed mushroom caps are then stuffed with this mushroom stuffing, topped with some Monterey Jack cheese, and baked until light brown. Wine is poured in the baking pan around mushrooms before baking them in oven.
- Vegetarian stuffed mushrooms- There are numerous ways of making vegetarian stuffed mushrooms; each one suggesting the use of distinct ingredients. One of the recipe variants suggests stuffing the mushroom caps with a mix of onions, celery, shopped mushroom stems, dried parsley, dill weed, and cheese. Another vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipe suggests stuffing the mushrooms with a mix of onions, garlic, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, heavy cream, parmesan, cheese, and bread crumbs. Tomatoes, olives, chives, cheese, and bread crumbs are also used as the filling for stuffed mushroom dish. The stuffing mix is often seasoned with salt and pepper before using it as a filling for the mushrooms. At times, vinegar or lemon juice is added to the stuffing to attain a slight tangy flavor.
Serving Stuffed Mushrooms
- Stuffed mushrooms can be served as a side dish with a variety of dishes like beef, bacon, eggs, salad, pasta, noodles, and baked potatoes.
- Stuffed mushroom can also be served as a main dish.