1. Mix all purpose flour with corn flour, black pepper, salt. Add water and make it in to medium consistency batter.
2. Clean mushrooms using a paper towel to remove the grit.
3. In a wok or deep frying pan, heat the oil.
4. When oil is hot, dip the mushrooms in the prepared batter and deep fry them until golden brown and crispy.
5. Use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms, drain off excess oil and keep aside to drain on paper toweling.
6. Drain excess oil keeping 1 teaspoon of it.
7. Add onion and garlic to the hot oil and sauté for 30 seconds.
8. Stir in tomato ketchup, chili garlic sauce, Chinese chili sauce, soy sauce, black pepper, salt, vinegar and blend well.
9. Add some water if required to thin the sauce out a bit.
10. Allow the sauce to simmer.
11. Just before you are ready to serve, add fried mushrooms and coat well in prepared sauce.
12. Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve hot with wooden picks or small forks.
You will not find this dish in China, only in Chinese restaurants and Chinese take away joints in India. Learn how to make this very popular Indo-Chinese dish of batter fried mushroom in a spicy sweet-sour sauce. These crisp mushrooms glazed with sauce makes a wonderful vegan snack for a rainy cold day, an appetizer for parties and also doubles up as a side dish to be served with fried rice or noodles, loved by kids and adults alike!