Roast Squab With Mushrooms
|Small onions||1⁄4 Pound|
|Dry white wine||5 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the over to 450°.
2) Blanch the onions in boiling water for 5 minutes, then peel.
3) Wipe the squab and put a sprig of rosemary, two sage leaves and a slice of bacon into each.
4) Thickly slice the mushrooms.
5) Put the squabs into a roasting pan and spread half the butter over each.
6) Roast for about 15 minutes till browned.
7) Meanwhile, chop the remaining bacon.
8) Heat a flameproof casserole and fry the onions and bacon till just golden.
9) Add sliced mushrooms to onions and bacon and fry for 2 minutes.
10) Remove the squab from the oven and reduce the temperature to 400°.
11) Put the squab into the casserole on top of the vegetables, pour the wine over and season.
12) Cover the casserole, place in the oven and cook for a further 15-20 minutes till the squab are tender.
13) Adjust the seasoning before serving.
14) Serve the roasted squabs as main dish with salads and dips.