Rigatoni with Wild Mushroom Ragu
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Large, scrubbed and finely chopped|
|Celery rib||1 , finely chopped|
|Portabellas||3⁄4 Pound, stems peeled and diced, caps wiped clean and sliced|
|Dried porcini||1 Ounce, soaked in 2/3 cup boiling-hot water for 30 minutes and drained (Reserving The Liquid)|
|Marsala||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Mushroom soaking liquid||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Rigatoni/Any other tubular pasta||1 Pound|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon (Or As Desired)|
1) In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
2) To the boiling water, add the pasta.
3) When the pasta is cooked, drain it well.
4) In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
5) In the hot oil, add the onion, and saute it until tender.
6) Then, add the garlic, and saute for a while.
7) Gradually add the carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt.
8) Cover the oven, and steam-saute the vegetables, stirring often, till they start turning soft.
9) To this, add the portabellas, and saute, stirring often, until the mushrooms are soft.
10) To the oven, stir in the porcini, and cook for 1 minute.
11) Next, add the wine and the reserved mushroom soaking liquid.
12) Simmer this mixture for 3 minutes.
13) Then, add the tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
14) Reduce the heat and cover the pot. Simmer, stirring often, for 1 1/2 hours.
15) Remove the lid during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
16) Then, stir in the basil, and season with salt and pepper.
17) Transfer the cooked pasta evenly into 4 bowls.
18) Pour the sauce over the pasta.
19) Sprinkle each serving with grated cheese and serve hot.