Chestnut, Celery and Mushroom Pie
|Plain flour||12 Ounce (375 Gram)|
|Butter||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (For Glaze)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Carrot||1 , chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Celery sticks||3 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Cooked canned chestnuts||14 Ounce, drained and chopped (400 Gram, Or Vacuum Packed)|
|Mushrooms||8 Ounce, chopped (250 Gram)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Ground almonds||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh herbs||1 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) To make the filling, fry the carrot and onion in hot oil for about 5 minutes, till tendered. Add the garlic and celery and cook for another 3 minutes, occasionally stirring. Mix in the mushrooms, stock, chestnuts, almonds,herbs and seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring well, till it is thoroughly heated. Keep aside and allow to cool. Stir in the eggs and keep aside to cool again.
3) To prepare the pastry, mix together the salt and flour. Melt the butter in 175 ml of water and add to the flour. Mix to form a soft dough. Warp and keep aside to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
4) On a floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use it to line a buttered 2 pound loaf tin. Spread the filling all over the pastry and moisten the pastry edges.
5) Roll out the remainder of the pastry and cover the pie. Seal by pinching the edges and in the center, make a hole. Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut into leaf-shapes to garnish. Put the decoration in place and use egg to brush the top of the pie.
6) Place the pie in preheated oven and cook for about 50 minutes till it is golden and crisp. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then remove the pie.
7) Serve hot.
Calories 671 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g48.8%
Saturated Fat 13.5 g67.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 204.3 mg68.1%
Sodium 742.3 mg30.9%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g27.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.5%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 13 g26.7%
Vitamin A 71.1% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet