Spinach with Mushrooms
|Spinach||2 Pound, well washed and trimmed|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound, sliced|
|Flour||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Cook the spinach, covered, in a small quantity of boiling salted water until tender.
2. Drain well, reserving the liquid. Chop the spinach coarsely. Boil down the reserved liquid to one-half cup.
3. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
4. Season the spinach with salt, pepper and melted butter. Pack in buttered custard cups and place in a pan of hot water. Cover with a baking sheet and bake until thoroughly heated, about fifteen minutes.
5. Meanwhile, add one-half teaspoon salt to the onion and mushrooms and cook in two tablespoons butter until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Add the flour and mix well. Add the milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
6. Add the spinach liquid, correct the seasonings and reheat. Turn the spinach out of the molds and serve with the sauce.