Mushroom Nut and Prune Jalousie
|Green lentils||3 Ounce, rinsed (75 Gram)|
|Vegetable bouillon powder||1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)|
|Sunflower oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Leeks||2 Large, sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Mushrooms||7 Ounce, finely chopped (200 Gram Or 3 Cups)|
|Dried mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped mixed nuts||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Pine nuts||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Pitted prunes||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Breadcrumbs||1 Ounce (25 Gram Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Puff pastry||1 1⁄4 Pound (500 Gram)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Put the lentils in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly and stir in the vegetable bouillon powder. Partly cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and have absorbed the liquid. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan, add the leeks and garlic and fry for about 5 minutes, or until just softened. Add the mushrooms and herbs and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the leek and mushroom mixture to a mixing bowl using a slotted spoon. Stir in the chopped nuts, pine nuts, prunes, fresh breadcrumbs and lentils. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 425°F/Gas 7.
4. Add two-thirds of the beaten egg to the mushroom mixture and season well. Set aside and leave to cool.
5. Meanwhile, roll out just under half the pastry to a 25 x 15cm/10 x 6in rectangle, then lay it on a dampened baking sheet. Roll out the remaining pastry to a 28 x 19cm/11 x 7 1/2in rectangle, dust it with flour, then fold in half lengthways. Make a series of cuts across the fold, 1cm/1/2in apart, leaving a 2.5cm/1in border around the edge.
6. Spoon the mushroom mixture evenly over the pastry base, leaving a 2.5cm/1in border. Dampen the edges of the pastry with water. Open out the folded piece of pastry and carefully lay it over the filling. Press the edges of the pastry together to seal, trim off the excess then crimp the edges.
7. Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Leave to cool slightly before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4933 Calories from Fat 2752
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 305 g470%
Saturated Fat 45.1 g225.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 423 mg141%
Sodium 2797.8 mg116.6%
Total Carbohydrates 449 g149.7%
Dietary Fiber 55.8 g223.1%
Sugars 47.6 g
Protein 115 g231%
Vitamin A 145.7% Vitamin C 93.9%
Calcium 59.4% Iron 191.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet