Make Ahead: Eggs Bennie Breakfast Muffins
|Light cream cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, warm|
|Chicken stock||1 Tablespoon, warmed|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Lemon herb salt||1 Teaspoon, divided|
|Eggs||4 , lightly beaten|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|To cook bacon|
|Canadian back bacon||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|For cheesy egg filling|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||6 Medium, lightly beaten|
|Green onion||1 , chopped|
|Grated sharp cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Cook diced bacon in extra virgin olive oil until slightly crispy and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon juice, and chicken stock. Whisk together until nice and smooth.
4. Add the sour cream, ½ teaspoon lemon herb salt and cayenne pepper.
5. Add the eggs, flour, another ½ teaspoon of lemon herb salt, and baking powder. Mix well and stir in cooked bacon.
6. Fill a well greased and floured non-stick muffin tin, with batter about 1/3 cup of measure.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and a toothpick when inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on counter. Remove them from tin and cut each in half.
9. Add the onion to the eggs and scramble over medium in a large non stick skillet in olive oil.
10. When the eggs are just about cooked, add the cheese, let it melt in, and then remove from the heat just before they are completely done. They will continue to cook in the pan away from the heat but won't overcook. Scrambled eggs become runny when they're over cooked.
11. Place a heaping tablespoon of the egg mixture onto one half of each muffin and top with the other half.
12. Serve immediately or individually wrap and freeze.
These reheat well in the microwave for a quick on the go breakfast.
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley- 1 sprig each
Freshly ground black pepper- 1 teaspoon
Coarse sea salt- 1/2 cup
Calories 227 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.7%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 265.7 mg88.6%
Sodium 577.8 mg24.1%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.5 g2%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 15 g29%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 3.1%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet