Oatmeal Prune Walnut Muffins
|Regular rolled oats||1 Cup (16 tbs), not quick-cooking|
|Dark brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked bulgur||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon, melted (Plus Additional For Buttering The Tins)|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pitted chopped prunes||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Roughly chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Heat the oven to 400Â°F.
2. In a small skillet Place 1/2 cup of the oats over low heat and toast them, tossing often, until they are golden.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat, and add the brown sugar, stirring the ingredients until the sugar has melted. Set the toasted oats aside.
4. In a food processor or blender Pulverize the remaining oats and set the oat powder aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, mix well the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, toasted oats and oat powder and add the cooked bulgur.
6. In another large bowl, beat the eggs and add the milk, 2 tablespoons of butter and honey, mixing the ingredients well.
7. Into the wet ingredients stir the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
8. Then gently fold in the prunes and walnuts and lightly butter some muffin tins.
9. Take each tin and fill two-thirds full.
10. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes such that they are lightly golden.
11. Serve with beverages or as a snack.