1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add and combine flour with bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and brown sugar. Set it aside.
4. In another bowl, add and combine the egg with vegetable oil, buttermilk, orange juice and orange rind. Whisk until well combined.
5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined.
6. Add the dates and stir until well incorporated.
7. Take the greased muffin tray and spoon the batter into each cup and bake it the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
8. Once done, remove and let them cool completely before serving.
9. Serve these muffins with warm milk or coffee.