Spiced Banana Muffins
|Plain wholemeal flour||3 Ounce (75 Grams Or 2/3 Cup)|
|Plain white flour||2 Ounce (1/2 Cup Or 50 Gram)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft light brown sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Polyunsaturated margarine||2 Ounce (50 Grams Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Semi skimmed milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter Or 2/3 Cup)|
|Grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon (Of 1 Orange)|
|Porridge oats||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Grams Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Chopped hazelnuts||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Grams Or Scant 1/4 Cup)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Line a muffin tin with 12 large paper cake cases. Sift together both flours, the baking powder, salt and mixed spice into a bowl, then tip the bran remaining in the sieve into the bowl. Stir in the sugar.
2. Melt the margarine and pour it into a mixing bowl. Cool slightly, then beat in the egg, milk and grated orange rind.
3. Gently fold in the dry ingredients. Mash the banana with a fork, then stir it gently into the mixture, being careful not to overmix.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Combine the oats and hazelnuts and sprinkle a little of the mixture over each muffin.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until the muffins are well risen and golden, and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and serve warm or cold.