Bacon and Cornmeal Muffins
|Butter||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Margarine||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Plain flour||4 Ounce (120 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cornmeal||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Milk||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/ Gas 6. Lightly grease 14 deep muffin tins or use paper cases.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper, then chop into small pieces. Set aside.
3. Gently melt the butter and margarine and set aside.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cornmeal, then make a well in the centre.
5. In a saucepan, heat the milk to lukewarm. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, then add to the milk. Stir in the melted fats.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the centre of the well and stir until smooth and well blended.
7. Stir the bacon into the mixture, then spoon the mixture into the prepared cups, filling them half-full. Bake until risen and lightly coloured, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or warm.