1. Start heating oven to 375Â°F. Grease well 12 2 1/4-inch muffin-pan cups.
2. Pat cherries dry on paper towels.
3. Sift together 2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
4. Beat egg with milk; add to flour mixture, stirring until just blended. Now stir lemon peel and juice into melted butter; quickly blend into flour mixture.
5. Mix cherries with 1 tablespoon flour until coated; then fold carefully into batter. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin-pan cups.
6. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Serve warm, spreading with butter or sour cream.