Orange Prune Muffins
|Pitted prunes||12 , cut into eighths|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooked bulgur||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1/3 Cup Raw Cracked Wheat)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°
2. Spray 12 muffin tin cups with nonstick cooking spray or line them with paper liners.
3. Cook the prunes and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium-low heat 4 minutes, or until the liquid has nearly evaporated. Remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk and orange zest
4. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; make a well in the center.
5. In another medium-size bowl combine the oil, molasses, sugar and egg, and mix until blended. Add the prunes and cracked wheat, and mix until blended. Pour the mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
6. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm and browned.