Banana Bran Bread
|Ready to eat bran cereal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ripe bananas||1 Cup (16 tbs), mashed|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to moderate (350° F.).
2. Measure the bran, mashed bananas, shortening and sugar into a bowl. Add the water and stir until well mixed. Add the egg and beat well.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to the banana mixture, stirring only until combined.
4. Fill two greased cans (baked bean cans) not more than two-thirds full. Bake any extra batter in greased custard cups.
5. Bake until a food pick inserted on the center comes out clean, or twenty-five minutes for custard cups, forty-five minutes to one hour for cans. Let cool five minutes, then remove from cans.