Episode 139 - White Chocolate Mousse with Cranberry Compote and Gingersnaps
|For the white chocolate mousse|
|Whole milk||5 Ounce|
|Egg yolks||4 Medium, pasteurized|
|White chocolate||6 Ounce (with cocoa butter)|
|Heavy cream||14 Ounce|
|Powdered sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄8 Ounce|
|For the cranberry compote|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce|
|Cranberries||6 Ounce (fresh/ frozen)|
|Bay leaves||1⁄2 Medium|
|Whole cardamom pods||2 Medium|
|For the gingersnaps|
|All purpose flour||11 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Ground ginger||6 Gram|
|Baking soda||11 1⁄2 Gram|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Gram|
|Ground cloves||1 1⁄2 Gram|
|Unsalted butter||6 Ounce, room temperature|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce (or crystallized ginger)|
|Whole eggs||2 Ounce|
|Vanilla extract||5 Gram|
|Demerara sugar||6 Ounce (Optional)|
For The White Chocolate Mousse
1. In a double boiler melt the white chocolate.
2. In another pan bring milk to boil on medium heat. Pour this into the melted chocolate and mix well till combined while scrapping the bottom.
3. In another bowl add the egg yolks. Pour little hot milk mixture and whisk continuously. Add the egg yolk mixture into the milk and chocolate mixture and mix well till incorporated. Place it in an ice bath to cool the mixture till warm.
4. In a yet another bowl add heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Using electric beater, beat till it form medium stiff peaks.
5. Once the milk chocolate egg mixture is cooled, fold the whipped cream mixture gently into it till incorporated. Fill it into piping bags and pour into serving glasses, cover with a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator till ready to serve.
For The Cranberry Compote
1. In a dry pan toast the cardamom pods over medium heat, till they turn light brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and crush them with a mortar and pestle. Retain the seeds and discard the shells.
2. In a large pot add sugar, water, bay leaves and crushed cardamom seedsand bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Add the cranberries and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or till the temperature reaches 224 degrees F, while stirring occasionally. Cook to achieve desired consistency. Turn off the heat and let it cool to room temperature (as it cools it will thicken a little).
For The Gingersnaps
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
3. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy for around 3 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl once in a while.
4. Put in the eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until incorporated. To this add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined on low speed, followed by half of the molasses and continue to mix.
5. Repeat this one more time till all the flour mixture and molasses are incorporated. Increase the speed to high and continue to mix for another few seconds.
6. Take small portions and roll into 1 inch balls. Coat them in Demerara sugar and place them on baking sheet 2 inches away from each other.
7. Bake for around 18 minutes or until they are slightly flattened, cracked and firm. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
8. In the serving glasses with the white chocolate mousse, top with cranberry compote and serve with an ginger snap.
Calories 805 Calories from Fat 327
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.7%
Saturated Fat 22.2 g111.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 192.4 mg64.1%
Sodium 509.8 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.7%
Sugars 84.2 g
Protein 8 g15.7%
Vitamin A 23.9% Vitamin C 5.2%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 13.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet