Salmon Cucumber Mousse
|Boneless salmon fillet/Red salmon - 3 cans of 7 1/2 ounce each, drained||2 Pound (Fresh)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mayonnaise||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||8 Ounce (1 Container)|
|Minced onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped kirby cucumbers||1 Cup (16 tbs), unpared|
|Snipped fresh dill||2 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Pint (1 Cup)|
|Kirby cucumbers||2 Small, unpared|
1. In large skillet or steamer with 1/2 inch water, place wire or steaming rack just above water.
2. Place fresh salmon on rack, cover and bring to boiling over high heat.
3. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes until salmon flakes when pierced with a fork.
4. Remove salmon from pan and refrigerate until completely chilled.
5. In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatine over water, let it soften for 1 minute and cook over low heat cook stirring occasionally, just until gelatine is dissolved.
6. Alternately in small bowl, sprinkle gelatine over water and let it soften 1 minute.
7. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute until gelatine is dissolved.
8. Pour 1/2 cup gelatine into medium bowl and remaining gelatine into large bowl and cool to room temperature-€”about 20 minutes.
9. Remove and discard skin from cooked or canned salmon and finely flake salmon with fingers, (about 3 cups).
10. Into large bowl of gelatine, stir 1/2 cup each mayonnaise and yogurt, 2 tablespoons minced onion, the lemon juice, red-pepper sauce and 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.
11. Add salmon, stirring until mixed and refrigerate.
12. Into medium bowl of gelatine, mix well stirring the remaining 1/2 cup each mayonnaise and yogurt, 2 tablespoons onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the chopped cucumber and snipped dill and refrigerate.
13. Stir both mixtures occasionally until thickened-€”about 20 minutes.
14. In small bowl, whip cream just until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised.
15. Fold half of whipped cream into thickened salmon mixture, then remaining half into cucumber mixture.
16. Take a 9-inch springform pan and spoon half of salmon mixture spreading evenly.
17. Onto salmon layer in the pan, carefully spoon all of cucumber mixture spreading to cover evenly.
18. Spoon remaining salmon mixture onto cucumber layer spreading to cover evenly.
19. With foil or plastic wrap cover pan and refrigerate until completely chilled-€” for 6-7 hours or overnight.
20. Slice cucumbers crosswise into very thin rounds.
21. Loosen running thin-bladed knife around edge of salmon-cucumber mousse and remove side of spring-form pan.
22. Place mousse on serving plate and arrange cucumber slices, overlapping, to decorate edge of mousse.
23. Garnish with dill sprig and serve.
Calories 657 Calories from Fat 443
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.3%
Saturated Fat 13.6 g67.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 189.9 mg63.3%
Sodium 704 mg29.3%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.62 g2.5%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 37 g74.3%
Vitamin A 20.3% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 2.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet