Velvety Mango Mousse
|Mangoes/3 medium ones||2 Large (Alphonso or preferably Venezuelan)|
|Lime juice/Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (optional)|
|Sugar||7 Tablespoon (depends whether the mango is sharp)|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Double cream||7 Fluid Ounce (200 ml, plus 150 ml/1/4pt to serve)|
|Pistachios||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (handful, to garnish)|
1) Slice the mangoes and remove and puree all the flesh, until smooth. 2) Stir in the lime or lemon juice, if the mangoes are less acidic.
3) In a small pan, heat the sugar with 4 tablespoons water until dissolved, then boil to soft ball stage for 4 to 5 minutes, until the candy thermometer reads 116-118°C.
4) In a bowl, stiffly beat the egg white, then whisk in the hot sugar with an electric whisk until thick and glossy.
5) In a bowl, soak the gelatine (if using) in cold water for 5 minutes.
6) Then squeeze out any excess water from the gelatine, then place in a small pan with 2 tablespoons water and heat until dissolved.
7) Then stir into the mango puree and mix thoroughly.
8) In a bowl, whip 200ml cream until soft peaks are formed.
9) Stir 4 tablespoons cream into the mango, then spoon in the rest, along with the egg whites and gently fold them both into the mango.
10) Spoon the mango mixture into 8 individual glasses and refrigerate for a few hours until set.
11) Top each serving with the freshly whipped remaining cream.
12) Garnish the Velvety Mango Mousse with a few chopped pistachios and serve chilled.
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 0.52 g2.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 9.1 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14%
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 3 g6.3%
Vitamin A 23.8% Vitamin C 70.2%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet