Chocolate Mousse Dessert
|For chocolate chiffon cake|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sieved|
|Cake flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sieved|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), sieved|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||7 , separated|
|Salad oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For chocolate mousse|
|Heavy cream||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sieved|
|Unsweetened cocoa||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Tablespoon, chilled|
1. In a small sauce pan, place water for boiling.
2. Preheat an oven to 162.5C (325F).
3. In a medium size bowl, combine cocoa and boiling water. Mix well till smooth and free from lumps. Keep aside to cool.
4. In a medium sized bowl, sieve flour, salt, baking soda and sugar together. Once well sieved, add vanilla extract, egg yolks, cocoa mixture and salad oil.
5. Using an electric beater or wooden spoon, mix well till smooth. Keep aside.
6. In another bowl, place egg whites and sprinkle cream of tartar over them.
7. Using an electric beater beat at high speed till egg whites reach stiff peak stage.
8. Add cocoa batter to stiffly beaten egg whites and using a rubber spatula fold gently till well mixed.
9. Transfer batter to 10 inch tube pan/ Bundt pan and bake for 65 to 70 minutes.
10. Once baked, cool completely on a cake wire rack or invert over a bottle neck. Cool for minimum 1 ½ hours.
11. Once cooled, loosen cake edges carefully using a spatula.
12. Using a sharp knife cut topmost 1 inch slice and keep aside. This will be used later.
13. Leaving 1 inch thick base intact, 1 inch thick distance around sides of the cake and centre hole of the cake intact; create a cavity.
14. Carefully remove crumbled cake from this cut portion using a knife and place in a bowl.
15. Prepare Chocolate Mousse.
16. In a large bowl, pour cream and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
17. Once chilled, add vanilla extract, sugar, cocoa and salt.
18. Using an electric beater beat till cream stiffens and holds shape. Refrigerate.
19. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water.
20. Place over a hot water bath or heat on direct flame till gelatin dissolves. Keep aside.
21. In a small bowl, combine 2 ½ cups of chilled vanilla chocolate cream and gelatin and mix well.
22. Using a spoon or disposable piping bag, fill this mixture in the cavity created.
23. Place the top most slice that was cut and kept aside on top of this mixture to again resemble original cake.
24. Combine crumbled cake and ½ cup vanilla chocolate cream and mix well.
25. Place in centre hole of cake and smoothen out evenly.
26. Using a palette knife, ice top and sides of cake with remaining vanilla chocolate cream.
27. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
28. Garnish Chocolate Mousse Chiffon cake with chocolate curls. Using a pastry spade, cut into wedges/ pieces and serve immediately.