Moulded Tuna Mousse
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned tuna in brine||2 Cup (32 tbs), drained|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated horseradish||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Small, de-seeded and cut into small strips|
|Belgian endive||1 , thinly sliced crosswise|
|French dressing||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (To Moisten)|
1. Soften the gelatin in 3 tablespoons cold water in a heatproof jug.
2. Stand jug in a pan of hot water, and stir until the gelatin dissolves. Take off the heat.
3. Mash the tuna with a fork in a bowl, but do not reduce it to a puree or it will taste 'powdery'.
4. Mix in thoroughly the lemon juice, horseradish and cayenne pepper. Taste, and add extra flavouring if you wish, then season well with salt and black pepper.
5. In a second bowl, beat the egg whites stiffly.
6. Beat or stir the cream into the tuna mixture.
7. Slowly stir in the dissolved gelatin.
8. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the whipped egg white, then fold in the rest evenly.
9. Turn the mousse into a wetted 2'/2-cup, fish mold or souffle dish.
10. Chill until set.
11. Unmold the mousse onto a chilled platter.
12. Combine red pepper strips and sliced endive, and toss with dressing.
13. Arrange around the mousse just before serving.
Calories 290 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.4%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.1 mg13.7%
Sodium 308.3 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.8%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 21 g42.6%
Vitamin A 77.1% Vitamin C 54.8%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet