Strawberry Vanilla Mousse
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), divided|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Whipping cream||1 Pint, whipped|
|Strawberries/Peaches / apricots / pears||1 Pint|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cointreau/Other liqueur||1 Tablespoon|
1) To prepare the sauce, first clean and hull berries.
2) Reserve 1 cup of best berries for garnish and use the remainders to pass through a food mill.
3) Remove the strain by straining the pulp.
4) In a mixing bowl, add ½ cup sugar and cornstarch to combine.
5) Gradually stir in 1 cup hot water.
6) Place on top of heat without putting a lid to cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture turns clear.
7) Stir in lemon juice, butter, fruit puree and liqueur to blend properly.
8) Place inside the refrigerator to chill down.
9) In a mixing bowl, add gelatin and 1 cup sugar to combine properly.
10) Place on top of the heat to cook by adding milk for 2 minutes without the lid.
11) In a measuring cup, add egg yolks to beat. Slowly add hot milk mixture in small amount.
12) Add this mixture to the main hot milk mixture and stir well.
13) Cook for another couple of minutes or until the milk starts bubbling. But be careful not to overcook, as the milk will get curdled.
14) Add vanilla and place the bowl in a large sized bowl of ice water. Allow the custard to thicken, so that it forms mountains when dropped from a spoon.
15) Separately, beat egg whites to form stiff peak.
16) Fold in the beaten egg white into the custard mixture.
17) Add whipped cream on top.
18) Use a 2-quart mold to pour the mixture.
19) Place the mold inside the refrigerator to chill.
20) In a serving platter, unmold the mousse and drizzle chilled strawberry sauce on top.
21) Before serving, garnish with reserved whole strawberries.
Calories 1998 Calories from Fat 948
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 106 g162.6%
Saturated Fat 67.3 g336.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 603.5 mg201.2%
Sodium 243 mg10.1%
Total Carbohydrates 215 g71.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.7%
Sugars 190.5 g
Protein 27 g53.2%
Vitamin A 16.6% Vitamin C 282%
Calcium 41.2% Iron 12.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet