Hot Fish Mousse
|Raw boned cleaned fish||1 Pound (Such As Shad, Salmon, Sole, Flounder, Haddock)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered mace||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 350° F. Rub 6 custard cups, or 1 larger baking dish with margarine or butter. Fill a shallow pan half full of hot water.
2. Put the fish through the food chopper several times, then if necessary force it through a wire sieve to insure a smooth texture; it should be creamy.
3. Beat the egg whites slightly, then blend into the pureed fish. It is best to do this in a chilled bowl which stands in ice water.
4. Whip the cream with the salt and mace and blend into the fish mixture.
5. Pour into the small molds or the larger dish filling each about two-thirds full. Cover tops with buttered waxed paper. Set the molds in the pan of hot water and bake 20 to 25 minutes.
The sauce: Beat the 4 egg yolks in the top of a double boiler with 1/2 cup evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, 1/4 tea spoon salt and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Beat with a rotary beater over simmering water about 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Add more salt if needed.