Rich Praline Mousse
3/4 cup unblanched almonds
1 1/2 cups granulated sugair
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light rum
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine almonds, sugar and cream of tartar. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches a deep amber color.
2. Pour into a lightly oiled jelly roll pan. When hard, break up and, in a blender or food processor, grind to a powder.
3. Store in a covered container at room temperature.
4. In a mixer bowl at high speed, beat eggs and egg yolks, about 5 minutes, until thick and yellow-colored.
5. Add sugar gradually and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Fold in rum. Set aside.
6. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
7. Place pan over low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Carefully fold the dissolved gelatin into egg mixture until completely blended.
8. Fold in 1/4 cup (50 ml) of the praline powder and chill about 20 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken.
9. Whip the cream until stiff; carefully fold into mousse mixture.
10. Spoon into an attractive crystal bowl and chill 3 hours before serving.