|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soft butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Double-acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||To Taste (White Or Colored)|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped gumdrops||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Make up dough day before:
1. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, cream shortening with butter; gradually add brown sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses.
2. Onto wax paper sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Beat into egg mixture, mixing well.
3. Wrap dough in wax paper; refrigerate overnight.
Early next day:
1. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
2. On floured, cloth-covered surface, roll out one-third or one-half of dough at a time, refrigerating rest. For crisp cookies, roll dough paper-thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick.
3. With floured cutter cut into desired shapes, keeping cuttings close together.
4. With broad spatula, place cookies on greased cookie sheets, 1/2 inch apart. Sprinkle with sugars, nuts, coconut, or gumdrops.
5. Bake 10 minutes, or until done.
6. Cool on wire racks. Store in tightly-covered container. Makes about 10 dozen.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4503 Calories from Fat 1695
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 192 g295.2%
Saturated Fat 73.1 g365.5%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 333.5 mg111.2%
Sodium 2307.5 mg96.1%
Total Carbohydrates 649 g216.2%
Dietary Fiber 18.5 g73.9%
Sugars 297.6 g
Protein 59 g117.1%
Vitamin A 33.6% Vitamin C 4.4%
Calcium 127.7% Iron 153.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet