|All purpose flour||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (2 Sticks)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frosting||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use The Ornamental Type)|
1. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon and cloves onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine until fluffy in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed; add sugar gradually, beating well after each addition. Add egg and molasses; beat well. Stir in flour mixture; blend well. Wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil; refrigerate several hours, or overnight.
3. Roll out dough, a quarter at a time, on a floured pastry cloth or pastry board; cut into animal shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 8 minutes, or until edges are browned. Let cookies cool a few minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks with spatula; cool.
5. Decorate the cookies with ornamental frosting, following directions Store them in an airtight metal container.