Chocolate Mocha Roulade
|Semisweet chocolate morsels||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Strong coffee||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), divided|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green creme de menthe/Kahlua / other coffee-flavored liqueur||3 Tablespoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven at 350°.
2) Take a 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan to grease the bottom and sides with vegetable oil.
3) Use waxed paper to line the pan and grease the waxed paper with vegetable oil.
4) In top of a double boiler, mix the chocolate morsels and coffee and bring the water to a boil.
5) Allow the chocolate to melt by stirring occasionally over low heat.
6) In a large bowl, place egg yolks to beat with electric mixer at high speed until it becomes foamy.
7) Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar while beating the egg yolks until the mixture becomes thick and lemon colored.
8) Gradually stir in about ¼ of hot chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
9) Stir in the remaining chocolate mixture.
10) In another bowl, place egg whites at room temperature to beat with electric mixer at high speed until it becomes foamy.
11) Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar to the bowl and continue beating to form stiff peaks.
12) Stir in egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
13) Slowly stir in vanilla extract.
14) Take the jellyroll pan to pour the chocolate mixture evenly.
15) Place the pan on center rack of oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
16) Use a damp linen towel or 2 layers of damp paper towels to cover the top immediately.
17) Place the pan on top of a wire rack for cooling down for at least 20 minutes.
18) Slowly remove the towel and use a metal spatula to separate the soufflé from the edges.
19) Sprinkle cocoa on top of the soufflé.
20) On top of a smooth and damp surface, arrange 2 long pieces of waxed paper and with the nearest paper edge overlap the second sheet.
21) Carefully invert the soufflé from the jellyroll pan onto waxed paper by keeping the long side near you.
22) Slowly remove the pan and carefully peel the waxed paper from soufflé.
23) In another bowl, add whipping cream to beat until foamy. Slowly add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and crème de menthe to beat until soft peaks form.
24) Spread the whipped cream mixture on top of soufflé by leaving 1-inch margin on all sides.
25) Roll the soufflé jellyroll fashion by starting from the beginning with the help of the waxed paper.
26) Place the waxed paper around the roulage by securing with your hands.
27) Use a large cookie sheet to slide roulage by keeping the seam side down.
28) Place inside the refrigerator.
29) Carefully transfer the roulage over the serving dish and sift additional powdered sugar over it. Trim the excess part of waxed paper.
Calories 549 Calories from Fat 229
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.5%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 231.5 mg77.2%
Sodium 70.2 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23%
Dietary Fiber 0.55 g2.2%
Sugars 65.8 g
Protein 6 g11.3%
Vitamin A 4.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 4.7% Iron 5.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet