Yucatan Achiote Paste
|Annatto seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Found In Latin Markets)|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Serrano||2 , membranes removed, and finely minced|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grapefruit juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly cracked|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Lime||1 , juiced (To Taste)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Take a saucepan and add the water to it.
2) Increase the flame and boil the water before adding the annatto seeds.
3) Turn off the heat and allow the seeds to soak for 15 minutes.
4) Drain off the water and keep the seeds aside.
5) Take the saucepan and add oil in it.
6) Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions.
7) SautÃ© them for 4 minutes or until they turn golden.
8) Add the serranos and garlic to it and cook for 3 minutes more.
9) Add the fruit juices, pepper and annatto seeds to the pan.
10) Allow the mixture to boil after seasoning with salt.
11) Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid quantity becomes 2 tablespoons approximately.
12) Remove the pan from the heat after adding the lime juice to it.
13) Take a blender and add the contents to it.
14) Puree it until it becomes smooth in consistency.
15) Use as required.