Pear Mincemeat Cookies
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Pears||7 Pound, peeled, cored & cut into eighths|
|Lemons||2 , unpeeled & cut into eighths|
|Oranges||2 , unpeeled & cut into eighths|
|Raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Ground allspice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Tablespoon|
|Vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Take a food processor bowl and position knife blade in it.
2) Add 1 cup pears and process until finely chopped.
3) Repeat the process with remaining fruit.
4) Take a Dutch oven and combine chopped fruits with all remaining ingredients in it.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
6) Pour the hot mixture in hot sterilized jars, leaving about 1/4 inch headspace.
7) Cover quickly with metal lids and screw tightly with bands.
8) Process the jars in boiling water bath for about 25 minutes.
9) Cream the shortening. Gradually stir in 1 cup sugar and beat well.
10) Add eggs, one at a time. Beat nicely upon each addition.
11) Stir in vanilla along with half-and-half. Beat well.
12) Take a bowl and combine together salt, baking soda and flour in it.
13) Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture. Stir and mix well.
14) Cover the prepared dough and chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
15) Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch round cookie cutter.
16) Place half of prepared cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet and spoon about 1 teaspoon prepared mincemeat at the center of each cookie.
17) Top with the remaining cookies and press the edges with a fork.
18) Take a small bowl and combine together water and egg yolk. Brush on top of cookies. You can also use melted butter, if desired.
19) Bake for about 12-15 minutes at a temperature of 375° F.
20) Store cookies in an airtight container. Serve with milk, if desired.