|Soft brown sugar||1⁄2 Pound|
|Beef suet||1⁄2 Pound, shredded|
|Mixed peel||1 Ounce|
|Orange||1 , grated zest and juiced|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
1. Wash all dried fruit and drain well.
2. Using a knife, peel, quarter and core cooking apples.
3. In a blender, mince apples and dried fruits or finely chop them. Put into a mixing bowl.
4. Into that mixing bowl, add sugar, suet, finely chopped mixed peel, zest and juice of the orange, mixed spice and brady. Mix all ingredients together well.
5. Take dry, clean jam jars and pack the mincemeat into them, only filling to within 1 inch of the top rim. Syrup often forms on top of the mincemeat and can run over if jars are filled.
6. With cellophane or parchment covers cover jars.
7. Use the mincemeat as a filling for a dish of your choice.
Note that the flavour of mincemeat improves if it is kept for a short time before using.