Old Time Mincemeat
|Rump roast||3 Pound (1 Piece)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned red tart pitted cherries||17 Ounce (1 No. 303 Can)|
|Brown sugar||1 Pound|
|Dark seedless raisins||1 Pound|
|Golden seedless raisins||1 Pound|
|Currants||11 Ounce (1 Box)|
|Finely chopped candied citron||8 Ounce|
|Chopped orange pulp||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Minced orange peel||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Use Fresh)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground suet||1⁄2 Pound|
|Tart jelly||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sweet cider||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tart apples||3 Quart, chopped to make about 4 pounds|
|Brandy extract||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a saucepan, add beef and sprinkle salt over it. Cover with water and simmer for 2 hours.
2) Drain out the meat and reserve the liquid.
3) Let the meat cool. Add it to a food grinder and grind till smooth. Measure around 5 to 7 cups.
4) Drain cherries and keep aside the juice.
5) In a large saucepan or kettle mix cherry juice, sugar, raisins, currants, citron, orange pulp, orange peel, lemon juice, lemon rind, suet, jelly, molasses, cider and the spices. Mix well.
6) Boil the mixture stirring occasionally.
7) Add ground beef, cherries, apples and brandy extract.
8) Bring the mixture to a boil.
9) Transfer immediately into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1-inch head space. Distribute equal amounts of liquid and solids in each bottle.
10) Seal immediately.
11) Serve as desired.