Steamed Egg Custard with Bean Curd
|Eggs||6 , lightly beaten|
|Fresh tofu||1 Pound, drained under a weight for 20-30 minutes and cut into 2-inch squares|
|Fresh sea scallops||12|
|Mushrooms||6 , stems trimmed|
|Dashi stock/Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Mitsuba/Fresh spinach / watercress||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In the bottoms of 6 individual buttered casseroles, arrange the tofu.
3) Use some salt to season the scallops. If preferred, a sprinkling of sake can also be used.
4) On top of the tofu, arrange the scallops, mushrooms and yuri segments.
5) Heat the stock till it is lukewarm and add it to the eggs very gradually, mixing well.
6) Strain this custard mixture and carefully pour it into the prepared casseroles.
7) In a baking pan, put the casseroles and pour boiling water into the pan till it comes halfway up the casseroles-€™ sides.
8) Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
9) To the casseroles, add the greens, pushing them down into the custard very gently.
10) Put the casseroles back in the oven and continue to bake till the preparation is set. This usually takes about 20 minutes of baking.
11) Serve the preparation hot after unmolding onto individual plates.