Lemon Or Orange Curd
|Butter||4 Ounce (75 To 100 Gram)|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 (And One Extra Yolk)|
|Egg yolk||1 (Extra Required)|
1. Wash fruit and dry. Using a grater, grate the zest or peel fruit using a potato peeler.
2. Using a grater, grate the zest or peel fruit using a potato peeler.
3. Cut and squeeze juice into a bowl, discarding the pips.
4. Prepare a bain-marie or double boiler. To do so, fill a large stock pot with 3 inches of water and simmer on low flame.
5. Preheat the oven to 225°F/ 110°C/ Gas ¼
6. Ready 3-4 preserve or coffee jars with tight fitting, vinegar proof lids. The jars should be clean and dry. Place in the oven to warm and sterilize them.
7. Use a large basin or a saucepan that fits over the double boiler, without the base touching the simmering water.
8. Combine the juice, rind, sugar and butter in pan. Fit in the pot with simmering water
9. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
10. Take off the heat.
11. In a mixing bowl, add the yolks and use a fork to break them.
12. Gradually pour the hot fruit syrup into the egg yolks, stirring to blend in.
13. Strain the lemon curd into the saucepan and return to the double boiler.
14. Cook the curd over the double boiler for 45 minutes, stirring often, in one direction, until the curd is thick.
15. Take pan off the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before potting.
16. Pour the curd into the warm jars till the brim. Cover jars with waxed paper discs, waxed-side down.
17. When cooled, put on the lids and close tightly.
18. Label the jars with name and date of making.
19. Store in a cool dry area like your pantry.
20. You can use the curd as an accompaniment, as a topping or as a filling for desserts.
Calories 238 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.4%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.5 mg35.5%
Sodium 20.4 mg0.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 0.68 g2.7%
Sugars 28.4 g
Protein 2 g4.3%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 18.6%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 2.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet