How to Throw a Hot Tamale Party & Make Tamales from Scratch at Home
|For the pork filling|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pork shoulder||3 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed, and cut into chunks|
|White onion||1 Medium, roughly chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
|Thyme sprig||5 Gram|
|Dried red chili||2 (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, then seeded and drained)|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Allspice berries||2 Gram|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Liter|
|For the chili sauce|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Garlic||25 Clove (125 gm)|
|Ancho chili||8 (soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, then seeded and drained)|
|Tomato puree||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Corn flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Mexican oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grounded|
|Clove||1⁄4 Teaspoon, grounded|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch|
|For the masa|
|Corn flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Vegetable shortening||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Hot water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
1. Soak husks in very hot water for 45 minutes. Rip long thin strips from 2-3 husks and set aside to be used later as ties.
2. For the pork filling - In a pan add in the oil and place pork in batches, brown from both sides. Set aside and repeat the process.
3. In the same pan return the prepared pork, garlic, bay leaves, thyme sprig, cloves, red chili, kosher salt, black peppercorn and allspice berries.
4. Pour in the water and bring to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 60 minutes.
5. Take out the pork from the broth and place in a large bowl. Let the broth cool.
6. Pull the pork with two forks. Set aside.
7. Strain the broth and keep aside to use further.
8. For the chili sauce - In a pan add in 1 tbsp. oil, onion and garlic. Sauté until brown.
9. In a blending jar add in sauteéd onion, garlic, tomato puree chili and 2 cups of reserved pork broth. Blend to make fine puree and set aside.
10. In the same pan add in remaining oil and corn flour. Heat for 2 minutes, add in the tomato puree mixture, honey, cumin, Mexican oregano, cumin, allspice, cloves, cinnamon stick and kosher salt. Simmer for 20 minutes.
11. Reserve 1 cup sauce for garnishing, add in remaining sauce to the pulled pork and mix well and set aside.
12. For the masa - In large bowl, mix the corn flour with hot water.
13. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
14. Using a stand-up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the butter until fluffy.
15. Add in the salt and continue beating while adding the masa in small batches.
16. After about half of masa is added, continue adding masa alternating with the pork broth, using about 2 cups total broth.
17. Fill husks with masa and pork mixture. Fold husks as shown in video, arrange in a steamer tamales open end up in the insert.
18. Fill steamer pot with water and place the tamale over it and steam for 60 minutes.
19. Serve tamale with chili sauce and enjoy the party!
Calories 891 Calories from Fat 513
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89%
Saturated Fat 26.6 g132.8%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 175.9 mg58.6%
Sodium 729.1 mg30.4%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.6%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 32 g63.8%
Vitamin A 80.7% Vitamin C 21.3%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 29.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet