Spicy Pork & Sausage Stew
|Pork loin||1 Pound, cubed|
|Black pepper||3 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||3 Teaspoon|
|Italian sausage||4 Medium (spicy)|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Carrot||3 Small, cut into sticks|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Chipotle and adobo sauce||3 Medium, chopped finely|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, crushed (1 can)|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Oregano||1⁄2 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Canned chickpeas||28 Ounce, drained (1 can)|
1. Prepare all the ingredients according to the list.
2. Season the pork with salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and cumin.
3. Heat a pan with 2 tablespoon olive oil and brown the pork evenly on all sides. Work in batches if necessary. Set aside.
4. Heat the pan again and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the sausages and brown them evenly on all sides. Set aside.
5. Drain all but 2 tablespoon of rendered fat from pan.
6. Slice the sausage.
7. Heat the pan with rendered fat, add the onion and carrot. Cook for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are soft and translucent.
8. Put the garlic and chipotle. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes, until you can smell the chilies.
9. Add the tomatoes. Mix well and stew for about 5 minutes.
10. Return the meat and sausage to the pan. Pour the chicken stock and add oregano.
11. Season with black pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer the stew for about 2 hours.
12. Add the sliced sausage and chick peas to the pan and heat through for about 5 minutes.
13. On a serving plate, serve the stew with crusty bread or white rice.
Calories 436 Calories from Fat 190
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.5%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.8 mg23.6%
Sodium 1023.3 mg42.6%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g29.7%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 27 g53.8%
Vitamin A 76.3% Vitamin C 22.3%
Calcium 9.9% Iron 24.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet