Salsa Verde Baked Fish
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Tilapia fillets||6 Medium|
|Lemon||1⁄2 Large, juiced|
|Tomatillo||1 Pound, husked|
|Jalapeno||2 Medium, seeded|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped (large)|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped, with juices|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cilantro||10 Tablespoon, chopped, divided (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon for garnish)|
|Cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and pat dry the fish. Place the fish in a baking dish.
3. Squeeze the lemon on the fish and lightly season with salt & pepper.
4. FOR SALSA: Bring a pot of water and salt to a boil. Add the husked tomatillos and jalapeños and cook for 5 minutes, until the tomatillos change from bright green to brownish green.
5. While the tomatillos are cooking, heat a sauté pan with olive oil.
6. Add the onion and cook until onion is browned, stirring frequently for approximately 5 minutes.
7. Put the garlic, oregano and cumin and cook for 3 minutes until flavors are infused.
8. Once the tomatillos are ready, transfer them to a blender. Add the browned onions and spices and ¼ cup chicken stock. Blend until smooth.
9. Wipe the sauté pan and add some more olive oil. Heat pan again and return the blended tomatoes.
10. Cook stirring often, slowly adding the chicken stock. Cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. Remove from heat and cool salsa.
11. Pour salsa on the fish and bake for 20 minutes.
12. On a serving plate, serve the baked fish with a doll-up of cream and garnish with chopped cilantro and white rice.
Please be careful if food is hot as it will shoot out of the blender!
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.9 mg14%
Sodium 496.1 mg20.7%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 23 g46.8%
Vitamin A 37.8% Vitamin C 41.8%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet