Chipotle Chicken Stew with Sweet Potato
|Whole chicken||1 , cut into 8 pieces|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Celery leaves||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Parsley leaves||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Chipotle peppers in adobo||3 Medium, chopped|
|Carrot||2 Medium, peeled, diced|
|Sweet potato||1 Large, peeled, diced|
|Tomatoes||3 Large, chopped|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Clean and cut the chicken into 8 large pieces. Rinse and pat dry.
2. Season it with salt and pepper generously. Keep aside.
3. In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Put the chicken pieces and brown them on both the sides evenly. If the pot is small, then do so in batches.
4. Transfer the chicken into a bowl and drain off the rendered fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons.
5. In the same pot, add onions. Sauté for 8 minutes or till the onions turn brown.
6. Add garlic, celery stalk and leaves, parsley, chipotle peppers. Stir to mix and cook them for a few minutes.
7. Put the carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and pour the chicken stock. Stir to mix well.
8. Return the browned chicken pieces and arrange them in the pot.
9. Bring it to a boil and cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
10. Remove the chicken from the pot into a bowl and take off its skin.
11. Add flour to the remaining liquid and whisk to remove all the lumps. Mix till it is incorporated.
12. Boil it till it reduces to the required consistency. Put the chicken back and mix. Turn off the heat.
13. In a serving plate, serve this stew hot on white rice, garnished with cilantro or parsley.
Calories 1000 Calories from Fat 561
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.8%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g85.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 284.8 mg94.9%
Sodium 1071 mg44.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.4%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 76 g152.9%
Vitamin A 256.4% Vitamin C 69.9%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 28.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet