Chile Verde - Pork Stew
|Pork chops/Butt||3 Pound, cut into cubes|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Chipotle pepper in adobo||2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Orange||3 Large, juiced|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Slices of orange rind||4 Large (membrane removed)|
|Cilantro sprigs||10 Medium|
|Bay leaves||2 Medium|
|Tomatillos||6 Medium, chopped finely|
|Roma tomatoes||2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Canned green chillies||7 Ounce (1 can)|
|White rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked (FOR SERVING)|
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
2. Season the pork pieces with salt and pepper.
3. In a pan, heat vegetable oil and brown the pork pieces. Set aside. Drain off the excess fat
4. To the same pan, add water to deglaze and remove all the brown bits stuck to the bottom. Transfer this liquid to a bowl and retain to be used later.
5. Heat olive oil in the pan. Add onions and sauté till it begins to turn brown.
6. Add garlic, chipotle pepper, cumin and coriander. Stir to mix well till fragrant.
7. Put the flour, mix it and cook till it loses the raw flavour while stirring constantly to avoid burning it.
8. Return the pork and the liquid. Stir and mix it.
9. Pour the orange juice and 1 cup chicken stock.
10. Place orange rind, cilantro sprigs and bay leaves around the pan.
11. Bring it to a boil and simmer it for 1 hour.
12. After 1 hour, put the tomatillo, Roma tomatoes and green chillies and mix it well.
13. Pour ½ cup of chicken stock. Season with pepper.
14. Stir it, bring it to boil and simmer for 1 more hour.
15. Strain out the vegetables and pork into a bowl and leave the liquid in the pan. Remove the orange peel and cilantro sprigs and bay leaves.
16. On high heat, boil the liquid and reduce it to 1/3rd.
17. Return the pork and vegetables and heat it through and turn off the heat.
18. On a serving plate, serve it with white rice garnished with cilantro leaves.
This stew can also be frozen to be used later.
Calories 1110 Calories from Fat 406
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.9%
Saturated Fat 12.3 g61.3%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 237.5 mg79.2%
Sodium 1096.1 mg45.7%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.1 g48.3%
Sugars 23.5 g
Protein 83 g166.5%
Vitamin A 34.6% Vitamin C 222.2%
Calcium 25.9% Iron 42.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet